Wednesday 30 October 2013

Tutorial: Nude Dotticure

Nude Dotticure Toes


It's not often that I do nail art on my toes. I'm not sure why. I mean, sure, eight of the nails are too tiny to do much on, but my feet provide me with two large canvases in the form of big-toes, and I really ought to take advantage of that more.

Since the nails on my big toes are so...well, big, I love doing dotticures, because the large space allows more room for the design, making the finished product look more complex. If you're not familiar with the term "dotticure", it's just an easy way of describing nail art that is done mainly with dots. Haha no surprises there!

For this design, I decided to do rings of dots in alternating colours. It's really easy to achieve this look, but it looks so great and detailed once it's done that people will marvel and wonder how you did it. People are so often convinced that this is a complex look, but to show you just how easy this is to recreate, I made a tutorial (toe-torial? no? okay, I'll stop).


Tutorial Nude Dotticure
Toetorial!
(Yeah, no. I can't stop.)

I chose a very neutral colour scheme for the tutorial, but you can do anything and everything with this pattern; from neon to monochrome.

There are four colours involved in this dotticure:
Base colour
Highlight colour
1st colour
2nd colour

Here I used Zoya Farah as the base, Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear White On as the highlight, Butter London Teddy Girl as the 1st colour and Sacha Forbidden Fudge as the 2nd.

I like using white as my highlight colour whenever I do these dotticures, as I find that it helps to tie the colour palette together. I also like to choose colours that complement the base as my 1st and 2nd colours. I tend to choose one from the same colour family as my base colour (here it's chocolate brown on beige), and the other colour is one that contrasts, but compliments the other two (here it's pink).

Here's an idea of what it looks like using a different colour scheme:


Neon Dotticure Toes

You can see that I kept the white and chocolate brown, but I used Nails Inc. Royal Botanical Gardens as the contrast colour on a base of Bizou Ipanema

This design looks great on fingers too, so don't be afraid to try it out in your next manicure! If you're worried about space on your fingernails, just use smaller dots!


I hope you guys have a great week :)


Mara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot and provide helpful feedback for me to improve. I enjoy hearing from you, so please don't be shy!

Please don't post links in the comment section. If you would like me to look at your blog, or another site, send me a tweet or an email. All my contact info is posted on the Contact page :)