Wednesday 20 November 2013

Matte Pink Paisley

Another week another manicure! I can't believe it's been over a month already since I started blogging. So much has changed, and I'm not just talking about my nails ;)

This week I've done a pink-on-pink matte paisley design. The monochrome colour scheme helps to prevent what is generally a busy pattern from becoming too loud, and the matte finish ties it all together for a design that is detailed, exciting and workplace approved.



Paisley is one of my favourite prints. I remember once, as as child, having a fever-dream where I was running through a giant paisley print maze that was on my mother's dress. Weird, I know, but it seems like I've had paisley on the brain ever since I was young! One day, while browsing nail art images for inspiration, I came across the BM 315 stamping plate and its beautiful paisley print image. As shown here by Sammy, the teardrop shapes are large and detailed without being overwhelming and I knew I had to try to replicate the look somehow.

For the base colour I used L.A. Girl Matte Baby Pink, a beautiful dusty salmon with a strong matte finish. When the base colour was dry, I used a short nail art brush dipped in Sacha Tip Toe to paint on the curved teardrop shapes. Tip Toe is a chalky pink-tinged nude colour that contrasts subtly against Baby Pink. Using a small dotting tool, I dotted around and inside of the teardrop, again using Tip ToeIn some areas the pattern was not as opaque as I would have liked so I carefully went over them with a a second coat. Once I was satisfied with my line work, I smoothed over the bumps and ridges of the design with Sacha Top Coat and then one coat of Essie Matte About You to finish it all off.


I am so happy about the way this turned out. From far my nails just look solid pink, but up close there are swirls and dots and it is beautiful.

The next time I do this design however, I think it would be better to do the paisley in a polish that only needs one coat. Having to go over the lines with a second coat of polish was a bit of a pain, and it made the lines thicker and a little messier than on the first go.

If you feel like doing this with a brush might be too challenging, Alice wrote a really clear tutorial for paisley print nails using a gel-ink pen!



I hope you all have a lovely week!

Mara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot and provide helpful feedback for me to improve. I enjoy hearing from you, so please don't be shy!

Please don't post links in the comment section. If you would like me to look at your blog, or another site, send me a tweet or an email. All my contact info is posted on the Contact page :)