Wednesday 27 November 2013

Newsprint Nails

In the realm of nail art, newsprint nails probably score a 9.95 out of 10 for how easy and pretty they are. I really thought there would be more work involved in executing this manicure, but the hardest part for me was deciding which articles I wanted to cut out and press on to my nails. Seriously. Talk about first-world problems, right?

newsprint nails

I started out with a base coat and two coats of Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear White On on three of my nails. Once it was completely dry, I took a piece of newspaper large enough to cover my nail and placed it face down (ie: with the words pressed against the polish). I dipped a finger from my free hand in a little bit of water and then pressed firmly against the newspaper with my wet finger. Make sure your polish is 100% dry, or else when you press down, it will smush or stick to the newspaper and that's not fun :(

On the other fingers I used two coats of Nails Inc. Royal Botanical Gardens and then, using a dotting tool, I put a single dot of Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Black Out near the base of the nail. While that was still wet, I moistened the tip of a toothpick in a little water and used it to place a single piece of hexagonal silver glitter in the centre of each black dot.

I finished off with Sacha Top Coat to seal the ink in. Be careful not to drag the brush bristles through the newsprint ink, or else it will smudge and streak. Just let a bead of top coat collect at the brush tip and gently pull it along the nail. This will help prevent unwanted streaking.

Just remember that when the words transfer onto your nails that they will be reversed, so unless you hold your fingers up to a mirror, it won't be easy to read what they say!

Don't feel limited to text either! Feel free to try this out with your favourite Sunday comics ;)


I hope you have a good week!

Mara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot and provide helpful feedback for me to improve. I enjoy hearing from you, so please don't be shy!

Please don't post links in the comment section. If you would like me to look at your blog, or another site, send me a tweet or an email. All my contact info is posted on the Contact page :)